TRINIDAD Y TOBAGO: Wheelchair incident: two cops"suspended? - EntornoInteligente

Entornointeligente.com / Trinidad Express / The two police officers who were repor­tedly involved in an incident in San Fernando last Saturday, in which a man in wheelchair was pushed and slapped several times, have been issued notifications to cease their duties. This was revealed yesterday by acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, during the weekly news briefing at the Police Administration Building, Port of Spain. Williams said the incident, which had been recorded and uploaded on the Internet, was a”blatant abuse of power? by the two officers, and he felt obligated as the head of the T&T Police Service (TTPS) to”strongly con­demn the reprehensible beha­viour? by the two Special Reserve Police (SRP) officers.”Based on early feedback, I prepared notification to those two offi­cers on Tuesday so they can cease functioning as SRPs, withdraw­ing all items and uniforms that the TTPS would have assigned to them for their functions as police officers. This (stance) will remain until the matter is fully investigated and clear determinations are made.”The blatant abuse of power by those members of the SRPs cannot be condoned by the executive of the TTPS…matters like these truly impact the TTPS and its image, which has faced a battering for a number of years; an image which we have been working very hard to rebuild. The image can be shattered by an event such as this, with wide publi­city,? Williams said. The acting Police Commissioner also commended the member of the public who recorded the event and forwarded it through social media as it made the TTPS aware of the actions of some of its members.”In those circumstances, the support of the public can readily assist us in carrying out our responsibilities. Without the capturing of that event, we would not have been privy to exactly what had occurred in San Fernando that day (De­cember 27),? Williams said. However, the acting Commissioner also reiterated the matter was still being investigated by officials from the Professional Standards Bureau. A video depicting the incident went viral on various social media sites earlier this week. The Express was previously told both officers were attached to the Rapid Response Unit in Mon Repos and identified as Woman Police Constable Tamika Phillip and Police Constable Ronaldo Rajcoomar. The Express was told Phillip was previously attached to the San Fernando City Police but Rajcoomar was always based at Mon Repos.” See Pages 6 and 7 Previous Article Top cop removes Reyes from Tobago

Con Información de Trinidad Express

Entornointeligente.com

Add comment

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

.




.

Síguenos en Twitter @entornoi






Sigue a nuestro director Hernán Porras Molina













Follow Me




.