VIENTIANE, Nov. 11 (Xinhua) — Attapeu provincial authorities are continuing to give 250,000 kip (around 28 U.S. dollars) and 20 kg of rice a month to each of the 4,607 people who were made homeless by last year’s flood in Sanamxay district in southern Laos, official said.
According to local daily Vientiane Times Monday report, Attapeu Provincial Governor Let Xayaphone reported on the provision of aid to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Planning and Investment Sonexay Siphandone, who is also Chairman of the National Ad Hoc Committee in charge of post-disaster response, at a meeting held in Attapeu province, some 560 km southeast of Lao capital Vientiane, recently.
Let said that following the catastrophic floods in the wake of the collapse of a dam at the Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy hydro plant on July 23 last year, from September this year until December 2021 the authorities are giving 250,000 kip and 20 kg of rice a month to every person who had been made homeless.
Another 3,123 people from 13 villages who had suffered to a lesser extent are each receiving 18 kg of rice a month. In addition, people in flood-affected areas have access to health services and treatment and children have been able to return to school, he added.
Sanamxay district Governor Bounhom Phommasane told Vientiane Times last week that the displaced people are currently living in temporary housing, namely Dongbak, Hadyao, Donbok, Pindong and Tamoyoth villages.
“We are speeding up the construction of 36 permanent houses in Dongbak, and Thasaengchanh villages which are now 30 percent complete,” he said.
Following the collapse of the dam, a total of 13,067 people in 13 villages were affected. More than 7,000 displaced people are being accommodated at temporary houses in Sanamxay district. Altogether, 71 people died in the floods or are still missing.
LINK ORIGINAL: Xinhuanet