5 Chinese mine workers kidnapped in DR Congo

Entornointeligente.com / KINSHASA/BEIJING-A group of unknown gunmen attacked a mining company located in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and kidnapped five Chinese nationals early on Sunday.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian confirmed the attack on Monday, saying the five Chinese nationals had been abducted in the country’s east.

During a daily news conference in Beijing, Zhao said the Chinese embassy in DR Congo is trying to rescue those who were kidnapped, and had launched an emergency response after the attack and relocated eight other Chinese workers to a safe place.

Chinese citizens are advised not to go to high-risk areas for the time being and to evacuate these areas as soon as possible. Overseas Chinese enterprises are reminded to pay attention to security risks and inform the embassies and consulates.

Tensions have been on the rise since the beginning of the year in the eastern part of the country, where attacks by local militants targeting military positions and civilians have been frequently reported. The government has imposed a state of siege in Ituri and North Kivu provinces since April 30.

The Chinese embassy in the capital Kinshasa said the security situation in Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu provinces is “extremely severe” with multiple reported incidents of armed robbery and kidnappings.

Zhao and the embassy advise Chinese citizens and Chinese-invested businesses in the country to increase their safety awareness and emergency preparedness, urging them not to travel to these high-risk areas.

China Daily – Xinhua

LINK ORIGINAL: Chinadaily

Entornointeligente.com

Smart Reputation